Welcome to the heart of summer! August brings abundant sunshine and a delightful variety of produce in season here in San Joaquin County. As the warm days continue, farmers’ markets and local grocery stores overflow with colorful fruits and vegetables that are not only delicious but also packed with essential nutrients. Some of the seasonal delights you can indulge in this month include:
- Tomatoes: Bursting with flavor, juicy tomatoes are a must-have this season. From heirloom varieties to cherry tomatoes, the options are endless. Enjoy them sliced in salads, roasted with garlic, or blended into a refreshing gazpacho.
- Corn: Sweet and tender corn on the cob is a classic summertime treat. Grill it to perfection, brush it with butter, and sprinkle with your favorite herbs for a simple but satisfying side dish, or bake it into a flavorful elote corn dip.
- Zucchini: Versatile zucchini is a staple in August. Use it in stir-fries, fritters, or bake it into a delectable zucchini bread for a delightful dessert.
- Cucumbers: Cool and crisp cucumbers make for a refreshing addition to salads and sandwiches. Try pickling them for a tangy snack or make cucumber-infused water for a hydrating drink.
- Stone Fruits: The stone fruit family, including peaches, nectarines, plums, and apricots, are at their peak during August. Enjoy them fresh or turn them into luscious pies, cobblers, or jams.
- Bell Peppers: Vibrant bell peppers add a pop of color to any dish. Grill them, stuff them, or sauté them for a flavorful addition to your meals.
Enjoy the benefits of fresher, tastier, and more environmentally friendly produce by supporting local farmers like the Golden Villa Farmers Market, Weberstown Farmers Market or the Lodi Farmers Market. Look for firmness, vibrant color, and minimal bruising or blemishes, and don’t hesitate to ask the farmers for advice on selecting and storing their produce. And, if you find yourself with an abundance of produce, consider preserving them through canning, freezing, or drying to enjoy the flavors of summer throughout the year. Celebrate the flavors of summer while they last, and don’t miss the chance to explore the seasonal offerings to discover new culinary delights. Happy eating!